Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications
TechEquity Collaborative is a 6-year-old nonprofit based in the San Francisco Bay Area. TechEquity Collaborative envisions a world where the tech industry’s growth creates economic prosperity for everyone and where tech sector employees and companies are engaged and active participants in making our economy more equitable.
Our mission is to bring tech workers, activists, community members, and advocates together to build a better tech-driven economy. We investigate and address inequities within the tech sector and those resulting from tech products and business models. Learn more about our work at techequitycollaborative.org
The Senior Vice President of Communications is responsible for providing advice and direction on our organization’s growth, communications strategy, and planning and implementing strategic communications campaigns within and across our organizational initiatives and advocacy campaigns. The SVP will provide leadership and ensure effective implementation of all communications and marketing work of the organization; the SVP works closely with the communications team and will support implementation which could include crafting materials, press releases, fact sheets, presentations, and contributed content such as op-eds, bylines, and blog posts.
Reporting to the CEO, the SVP will play a key role on the senior leadership team, contributing to overall organizational health, growth, and strategy. The SVP will manage a team that includes the Director of Communications and the Social Media Manager.
Specific responsibilities for this role include
This senior-level role is ideal for someone with the following traits:
- 8-12+ years of experience in marketing, communications, and/or PR or agency experience
- Experience managing teams in mission-driven settings
- High level of comfort engaging with the tech community, media, and advocates
- Interest and experience in housing, labor, and/or tech policy
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Owns goal setting, strategy development, and execution for our communications and marketing function
- Manages, coaches, and grows the communications team to execute on that strategy
- Develops our digital marketing capacity, including the development and implementation of digital campaigns, as well as testing, measuring, and adjusting strategy with a variety of approaches to reach a larger audience and drive that audience to our campaigns and initiatives
- Responsible for understanding our organizational initiatives and programs and proactively developing communications and marketing strategies to grow our impact and ability to succeed on those initiatives
- Works closely with the Director of Communications and Social Media Manager to increase our reach across all communication channels to grow our organization and increase our visibility and impact
- Provides support on implementing communications strategies, which could include developing talking points, presentations, press releases, editing organizational papers and deliverables.
- Responsible for growing our in-house earned media capacity, including partnering with our PR agency to implement a proactive strategy to grow our organization’s visibility, and independently developing relationships with reporters in our field
- Contributes to the senior leadership team to ensure our marketing and communications strategies are delivering on org-wide goals and initiatives
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Deep and complex understanding of organic and paid marketing, funnel management from top to bottom, community building, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s strategy, credibility, and thought leadership
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with peers in shared efforts; ideally brings experience managing marketing campaigns, digital media, multi-organization collaboratives, organizational campaigns, and developing and/or implementing earned media strategies
- Experience in planning and leading organization or department wide campaigns and/or initiatives to achieve an organization’s goals and objectives
- Strong writing and public speaking skills; able to present ideas in an organized and compelling manner
- Strong commitment to our organizational values and mission
- Strong networking skills and ability to engage a relevant community of aligned individuals and organizations on behalf of the organization
- A high level of comfort and experience interacting with members of the tech community
- Experience supervising a team and providing coaching and learning opportunities to staff; committed to building transparent, safe, and fun organizational culture
This is a fully remote*, competitive salaried position with medical/dental/vision/retirement benefits.
- Location is remote with quarterly meetings in Northern California.
- We value work/life balance and offer unlimited time off, flexible work hours and a 4.5 day work week.
- The salary range for this position is in line with our organizational payscale: $129,625 to $155,550. This represents the present low and high end of the Organization’s pay range for this position. Actual pay will vary based on various factors, including but not limited to experience. Salary range is set based on our headquarters region (100 driving miles from Oakland City Center). Outside of the headquarters region, the organization adjusts the payscale based on location to ensure equitable pay across the country.
- TechEquity is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage people from communities underrepresented in the tech industry to apply for this role. We value lived experience and encourage applicants who may not feel they can check off every skill listed above to still apply.
- Our interview process includes:
- an initial phone screen for 30 minutes (or less)
- typically the second interview is a panel with members of the team and lasts for 60-75 minutes
- the final interview is with our Senior Leadership Team and lasts 45-60 minutes
- A successful candidate going through all three rounds should plan to spend no more than 3 hours total in the interview process.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
*Please note that we are unable to hire people living in Alaska or Hawaii.