Senior Civic Tech Manager
TechEquity Collaborative is a start-up nonprofit based in Oakland, California. We envision a world where a growing tech-driven economy creates opportunity for everyone and where tech-sector employees and companies are active participants in making our communities better places to live. We’re building a movement of tech workers, engaging companies, and working with government and nonprofit partners to advance this vision. We believe a more engaged tech sector is a more ethical tech sector and that immersing tech workers in the most critical issues where they live results in a more equitable economy for everyone. We focus on two issue areas: housing and workforce & labor. Learn more about our work at techequitycollaborative.org
TechEquity is seeking a talented Senior Civic Tech Manager to join our growing team. This is a unique opportunity for someone with technical expertise and interest in social impact to put their skills to work to build a more equitable economy for everyone.
This role will focus on identifying, developing, and managing civic tech projects that support organizational initiatives and campaigns. Our civic tech projects build tools that reinforce and amplify our policy advocacy agenda and help make a case for corporate or public policy change. The Senior Manager will recruit and manage volunteers with technical expertise from our community to execute on products and advise on project scoping and development. For example, our civic tech teams built a Rent Calculator for tenants to determine how they are impacted by the passage of the Tenant Protection Act of 2019, which TechEquity sponsored and helped pass.
The Senior Civic Tech Manager will be an active part of our growing Organizing and Advocacy team of four; additional expansion is planned in line with organizational growth in 2021-23. The Manager will have the opportunity to help develop our organizational initiatives at an exciting moment within a growing organization.
This role is ideal for someone with the following traits:
- 2-6 years of experience in product development or technical project management
- Full-stack development experience is preferred
- High level of comfort engaging with the tech community
- Interest or experience in housing and/or labor advocacy and organizing, and/or social impact work
- Ability to live/work in California; currently a fully remote role, post-COVID will require regular meetings and ~20% travel around the Bay Area
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Identify, outline, and build technical advancements and solutions to strengthen our organizational initiatives, partner projects, and policy campaigns
- Assist in scoping technical projects and advise on development cycles, including identifying key attributes and mapping product development timelines to reach MVP and subsequent updates
- Produce clear project planning documentation flagging dependencies, responsible parties (e.g., staff, outside consultants, partners, etc.), and capacity needs
- Partner with external organizations, government agencies, and internal team members to shepherd the development of products and initiatives
- Partner with Organizing and Advocacy team members to provide insight and support for engaging and growing our base of tech workers
- Identify, train, and manage volunteers, partners, and/or contractors to build technical tools as needed
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 2-6 years of technical experience on a product team
- Self-motivated and comfortable designing and implementing projects from inception to completion, including project roadmaps, timelines, and briefs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to lead and support both technical and non-technical project members and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with peers in shared efforts
- Commitment to TechEquity’s mission and values, including a passion for building a more equitable tech-driven economy
- Comfortable with adjusting and adapting to unexpected dynamism inherent in our work
- The ideal candidate will also possess the following qualifications:
- Full-stack development experience
- Experience training and/or managing technical projects
- Government, civic tech, or political campaign experience
- Familiarity and/or experience with housing or labor policy
TechEquity is a young startup with high growth potential. The person serving in this position needs to be excited to join the team while we scale and demonstrate a level of comfort with the dynamism that entails. This means being open to fluidity, being willing to jump in and do the necessary even if it isn’t in the job description, and being passionate about building the organization in partnership with the founding team.
This is a competitive salaried position with medical/dental/vision/retirement benefits. We value work/life balance and offer unlimited time off and flexible work hours. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
This position’s salary range is in line with our organizational payscale: $75k -$90k.
TechEquity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We especially encourage people from communities underrepresented in the tech industry and those originally from the Bay Area to apply for this role.
To apply, please submit your materials here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.