TechEquity Collaborative is a start-up nonprofit based in Oakland, California. We envision a world where a growing tech-driven economy creates opportunity for everyone and where tech-sector employees and companies are engaged and active participants in making our communities better places to live. Our mission is to build a movement of tech workers and companies that will advance this vision. We believe a more engaged tech sector is a more ethical tech sector and that immersing tech workers in the most critical issues where they live results in a more equitable economy for everyone. We focus on two issue areas: housing and workforce & labor. Learn more about our work at techequitycollaborative.org
TechEquity seeks a Research Fellow to assist with corporate, legal, and policy research in support of priority initiatives at TechEquity Collaborative; namely the Contract Worker Disparity Project (CWDP) and our developing work on algorithmic bias. The Researcher’s work will be completed largely independently, with regular check-in meetings with TechEquity team members.
TechEquity intends to hire this role in late spring 2021 for a Fellowship that lasts 10 weeks. The role will be part-time and requires no more than 10 hours of work per week. TechEquity can offer flexible scheduling for students and those with existing work or family commitments.
This role is ideal for someone with the following traits:
- Have an interest in public policy, economic justice, the tech industry, and combating structural inequities.
- Have strong writing and/or research skills.
- Be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Be comfortable using Google Drive as a work platform, or be a quick learner.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Gathering data on findings on corporate practice related to TVCs.
- Compiling open letters, article features, podcasts, and other media sources that feature the first-person TVC experience.
- Researching legal history and precedents related to temporary and full-time employment (FTE) regulatory standards.
- Landscape existing policy, white papers, and existing academic research on key TechEquity issues (TVC ecosystem in tech, algorithmic bias, etc.)
- Maintain research findings in neat, accessible documents for use by the TechEquity team.
- Writing draft copy to highlight research findings.
This is an hourly, remote position. Compensation will be $25/hr. Must be based in the state of California.
TechEquity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We especially encourage people from communities underrepresented in the tech industry and those originally from the Bay Area to apply for this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, to apply, please submit your materials here.