TechEquity Collaborative is a start-up nonprofit based in Oakland, California. We envision a world where a growing tech-driven economy creates opportunity for everyone, and where tech-sector employees and companies are engaged and active participants in making our communities better places to live. Our mission is to build a movement of tech workers and companies that will advance this vision. We believe a more engaged tech sector is a more ethical tech sector and that immersing tech workers in the most critical issues where they live results in a more equitable economy for everyone. We focus on two issue areas: housing and workforce & labor. Learn more about our work at techequitycollaborative.org.
TechEquity seeks a Policy Manager to help shape, grow, and analyze our policy agenda. The ideal candidate will possess a comprehensive understanding of one or both of our core issue areas: housing and workforce & labor. The Policy Manager plays a critical role within the organization by providing research, analysis, and recommendations for our work on existing and potential policies and developing public-facing materials to engage our community.
Reporting to the SVP of Advocacy and Organizing, the Policy Manager will work within the Advocacy and Organizing team and across the organization, contributing to our legislative agenda development, policy projects with corporate partners, significant written and digital event explainers of ballot measures and legislation, and large-scale research projects.
The Policy Manager will join a team that currently includes the SVP of Organizing and Advocacy, the Director of Advocacy, and the Community Manager. This team will expand in the next three months and continue to grow in line with organizational growth in 2021-23.
This role is ideal for someone with the following traits:
- 4+ years of experience in public policy, either in research, government, or advocacy
- High level of comfort with housing and/or workforce & labor policy issues
- Strong research, analysis, and writing skillsets
- Well versed in translating complex policy issues into broadly consumable content
- Ability to be based in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area; we are currently a fully remote role, but post-COVID will require monthly in-person meetings in Oakland/SF, as well as in-person partner meetings across the region
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Researching and writing policy memos, reports, and papers for internal and external audiences
- Creating educational content, including appearing on panels and webinars
- Tracking specific local, statewide, and national policy landscape on our issues
- Play a leadership role in the development of our organizational electoral/legislative analysis and recommendation process
- Producing our ballot information content, including written explanatory content, panels, webinars, and other methods of communication
- Advising the Senior Leadership Team and other team members on specific questions related to our issue areas
- Working closely and connecting with partner organizations and policymakers on specific legislation or policy that we are supporting
- Attending public meetings relevant to our issue areas
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Work experience where policymaking, policy research, and/or policy advocacy were primary components of the job
- Interest and experience in housing and/or workforce & labor policy issues
- Strong writing and public speaking skills; able to present ideas in an organized and compelling manner
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with peers and external organizations
- Bonus: experience working in electoral and/or government capacity will be helpful to the person serving in this position
- Preferred: Masters of Public Policy or similar advanced degree in the policy space; or comparable work and lived experience
TechEquity is a young startup with high growth potential. The person serving in this position needs to be excited to join the team while we scale and demonstrate a level of comfort with the dynamism that entails. This means being open to fluidity, being willing to jump in and do the necessary even if it isn’t in the job description, and being passionate about building the organization in partnership with the founding team.
This is a competitive salaried position with medical/dental/vision/retirement benefits. We value work/life balance and offer unlimited time off and flexible work hours. Occasional evening and weekend work is required. The salary range for this position is in line with our organizational payscale: $60k -$75k.
TechEquity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We especially encourage people from communities underrepresented in the tech industry and those originally from the Bay Area, to apply for this role.
To apply, please submit your materials here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.